Autoimmune Paleo Diet (AIP)
Some Reasons To Consider Autoimmune Paleo Diet:
- Autoimmune disease is a disease of inflammation
that causes self-tissue attack
- Food is a powerful way to reduce inflammation and calm
the immune system
- Diet may not be enough and specific protocols of gut
healing and removing SIBO and immune support supplements may be needed
- Food is the biggest component of medicine in addressing
AIP, but not the only one
- Some individuals have food
sensitivities, which should incorporated into this diet. If you are
sensitive to carrots for example, donít eat them while on AIP.
- Additional supplements
are usually required to fully heal the gut.
- Brain Chemistry and Adrenal Fatigue are likely culprits
in autoimmune disease and need to be addressed.
- Be cautious on the use of hormones or neurotransmitters in
treating brain function and when using precursors to neurotransmitters.
- Undiagnosed Insulin Resistant Hypoglycemia is a big
factor in inflammation that can contribute greatly to
Fatigue and brain deregulation.
Eliminating these foods is important to reduce inflammation.
All of the below listed foods can be gut irritants and exacerbate dysbiosis in
the gut and contribute to SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth).
help address the GALT imbalances (Gut Associated Lymphoid Tissue) in the
Because the gut contains such a large percentage of immune system
GALT tissues (70%) that mediate the T & B Lymphocytes that carry out immune
system attack by producing antigens or antibodies, the goal of AIP is to reduce
this from occurring.
AIP Diet Phase 1: For 6 - 8 Weeks
Not Allowed AIP
- Nuts - including nut oils like walnut and sesame seed
- Seeds - including flax, chia, and culinary herb seeds like
cumin and coriander
- Beans and Legumes - this includes all beans like
kidney, pinto, black
Soy in all its forms
- Grains - Corn, Wheat, Millet, Buckwheat, Rice, Sorghum,
Amaranth, Rye, Spelt, Teff, Kamut, Oats, etc.
- Alternative sweeteners - Xylitol and Stevia
- Dried fruits and/or over-consumption of fructose (I
recommend up to 2 pieces of fruit a day)
- Dairy Products - including butter
All Processed Foods
- Nightshades - including tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant,
mustard seeds, and all chiliís including spices
- No vegetable oils - except olive oil and coconut oil
- Culinary herbs made from seeds - mustard, cumin, coriander,
fennel, cardamom, fenugreek, caraway, nutmeg, dill seed
Allowed AIP Diet
- Vegetables - except nightshades
limit to only 15 - 20 grams of fructose
- Coconut products - including coconut oil, manna, creamed
coconut, coconut aminos, canned coconut milk (with no additives like guar
gum and carageen or BPA lined cans) shredded coconut (this list does not
include coconut sugar and nectar
- Fats - olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, lard, bacon fat,
cultured ghee (certified to be free of casein and lactose).
Butter is not allowed
- Fermented Foods - coconut yogurt, kombucha, water and
coconut kefir, fermented vegetables
- Bone Broth
- Grass Fed Meats, Poultry and Seafood
- Non-Seed Herbal Teas
- Green Tea
- Vinegars: Apple Cider Vinegar, Coconut vinegar, red wine
vinegar, balsamic (that has no added sugar)
- Sweeteners: occasional and sparse use of honey and
syrup (limit to 1 tsp. per day)
- Herbs: all fresh and non-seed herbs are allowed (basil
tarragon, thyme, mint, oregano, rosemary, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon,
savory, edible flowers)
- Allowed are green beans, snow peas and sugar snap peas unless
low FODMAPS (Fermentable
Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides And Polyols)
is needed. This is green beans are not mature bean seeds,
they can be allowed. Not everyone in the Paleo world will agree and you may consider taking them out during Phase 1.
- No mature beans seeds from the legume family
There are a few ways to approach reintroduction.
- 72 Hour Rule: It takes 72 hours to produce an IgA, IgG
and IgM mediated antibody symptom. It can be physical or mental in nature.
This includes symptoms of lethargy, brain fog, aching joints, rashes, stomach aches, numbness, feeling
hung-over, bloating, gas, constipation, insomnia, fatigue, memory loss.
- Re-introduce only 1 food back every 5 days.
re-introduce the food, eat enough of it to elicit a response. A small bite,
then a few hours a spoonful and then that night a serving.
- Keep a food re-introduction notebook! If you have a
sensitivity symptom and canít remember what or when they did the
reintroduction. Write everything down.
Notes on FODMAPS Foods:
- High FODMAPS
(which stands for Fermentable Oligosaccharides,
Disaccharides, Monosaccharides And Polyols) may disagree with some
people on the AIP diet.
This includes foods like: nectarines, coconut or onions which may bother some people.
- Go here for a great Paleo Low FODMAPS shopping list:
- If you are reacting to certain starches in foods, it may be a
sign that high FODMAPS need to be eliminated from your diet.
is an adaptogenic herb that supports adrenal fatigue and is
in the nightshade family. It should be eliminated during the first phase of AIP.
It is usually well tolerated in general by most people.
If you are FODMAPS sensitive
then eliminate Ashwagandha for 10-14 days and then slowly reintroduce.