Sinus Infection and Homeopathy
Homeopathic remedies support healing from the
acute and chronic sinus infections. Contact us to learn more.
Acute sinus infections are more
common for those with an impaired immune system. During a sinus infection, the
membranes swell and mucus is produced as a protective agent
against pathogens. Pressure builds up and pain occurs when the airway is trapped
between the nose and the sinuses. A sinus infection occurs when
bacteria get trapped in the mucus and pus is created, forming a yellow or
Sinuses In The Body
- Ethmoidal Sinuses
- located between the eyes.
- When irritated these sinuses cause pain between and
behind the eyes, with blockage of nose and sensitivity to light. Diving,
swimming or riding in cold wind may provoke inflammation of these
- Frontal Sinuses
- These sinuses are positioned in the forehead.
- When inflamed they can get tender and trigger pain in
the forehead with heaviness and puffiness above the eyes particularly in
- Maxillary Sinuses
- the largest sinuses that are situated beneath the
- Linked to the nasal passage in a particular position
that can make drainage difficult.
- Untreated cold and allergies easily distress these
sinuses especially in children, causing pressure below the eyes, pain in
the cheeks, gums, teeth and upper jaw.
- Sphenoidal Sinuses
- in the midline of the skull, behind the nose
and on swelling can cause pain all over the head.
Homeopathic Remedies for Acute
- Used if discharge is yellow.
- The pain in the sinuses is worse at nighttime,
worse in a warm room or when the person stoops or raises the eyes
- There may be pain in the forehead, with a feeling of
congestion and tightness.
- Digestive symptoms may accompany the sinus infection
and headache, such as nausea and a desire for cold, creamy foods like
- A person (child) may be moody and teary-eyed, wanting constant
- Hepar sulphur
- Right-sided frontal sinusitis causing sharp,
splinter-like pain in the forehead and the root of the nose.
- Pain gets worse from cold air or consuming cold foods
- Person is chilly
- Overly sensitive to the environment -
noise, touch, light, etc.
- Kali Bichromicum
- Used if the discharge becomes dark greenish,
thick, rubbery and stringy.
- Helps when the sinus pain is felt above the root
of the nose, or in the forehead over one eye.
- Symptoms start in the morning, get worse in the
middle of the day and then disappear by late afternoon.
- Wandering pain in the forehead, in a spot that
can be covered by the tip of the finger.
- Pain is worse in the morning or worse from noise
but diminishes by inhaling steam or lying down.
- Headache in the forehead in small localized spots,
as opposed to pain in the entire forehead.
- Sinus pain made worse by exposure to cold weather.
- Also sinusitis in hot weather.
- Kali iodium
- Chronic sinusitis
- Throbbing pain and burning in the nose and the
- Pain is worse at night or from steam-inhalation but
diminishes on moving in open air
- Profuse, water and hot discharge from the nose.
- Right-sided sinusitis
- Associated with earache, toothache and vertigo
which increases on lying on the back
- Pain is not relieved by inhaling steam
- Feels like a band around the head\
- Acrid thick, greenish yellow, pus-like discharge
from the nose, more at night.
- Intense thirst for large amounts of cold water
- Profuse offensive perspiration
Used in a sinus infection is
chronic or has not responded to other remedies
The pains are distinctly improved
with application of pressure to the forehead or face.
Pressing the fingertips firmly into
the painful area makes it better.
Indicated when the pain is
relieved by warm applications like a heating pad or hot rice pack.
Used if the person has an earache
at the same time as the sinus infection, which primarily affects the
Helpful if the patient is
aggravated by noise, movement and talking.
Used for sinus pain if the onset
of symptoms occurred after exposure to cold, wet weather.
Pains are made much worse from
bending the head forward, warm applications, exposure to light, motion
Symptoms are felt more on the
left side of the face, cheek and forehead.
Symptoms are relieved with cold
applications like a washcloth or cold pack.